Wednesday, July 3, 2013

DIY AMERICAN FLAG SHIRT

Does anyone have any fun plans to celebrate the 4th of July tomorrow?? I do! I have my first ever 5K walk/run...that I did not train for ...Yeah I have no idea if I will run with my friends son, or walk with my mom and kids! Then we have a super fun wet/dry parade...you better believe we are always in the WET section of this parade! I am sure sometime after that we will head to my mom's house and BBQ....I am kind of sad because this is the second year in a row that hubby has to work....He is a mechanic....and my question to all of you is....who gets their car worked on, on the 4th of July??? Not sure how many of you have seen the news, but here in Colorado ....there are quite a few fires right now....so we are on a fire ban which means no fireworks at home for the kids :( My daughter has never got to see them in the driveway, or play with a sparkler....So in the evening we will have to go down town for the "BIG SHOW"! Well this year I wanted to have something patriotic to wear...so I made us some shirts!! I followed the instructions over on I Live Life Better Than You blog! It was such a cheap and easy craft for me....Purchase the white shirts...acrylic paint (hobby lobby), find some packing tape and use your computer to print some stars! They came out super cute and I can not wait to wear it tomorrow! I will try to take some pictures of the run and everything we do tomorrow to share with all of you!

Directions for shirts: Slide a big piece of cardboard inside the shirt, this will prevent it from bleeding to the back side. Tape of the stripes...then paint the open area red, except do not paint the side you are doing the stars...then I pulled the tape off once it was dry....and used my cut out stars I printed and held them down and painted around them. I kind of painted over them so it would get all the white space covered with blue around the stars....little bit messy, but not big deal since it was just on my fingers! Let it dry, then wash it and dry it...I washed them all together (made 4) on a regular cycle...I believe on warm...then dry them...and wear them!

2 comments:

  1. I love this! Do you care if I include it in my Fourth of July crafty roundup on my blog?

    ReplyDelete